She's My Baby Doll

She's My Baby Doll

9 notes

Mommy To A Preemie…

  My pregnancy wasn’t difficult but it wasn’t easy either. My husband and I were trying to get pregnant during the summer of 2010 and to my surprise in early September I took a pregnancy test that turned out to be positive. I was ecstatic I called my husband at work to give him the good news and he was as happy as I was after I got off the phone with him I called my mom and then the Doctor to schedule an appointment and I found out I was five weeks along but the Doctor wouldn’t see me until I was eight weeks, needless to say I was impatient. Over those next three weeks I took about nine more pregnancy tests to make sure I wasn’t getting a false positive and every test was positive.

 Trying to make a long story short everything went well at my first visit and they gave me a due date May 28th 2011, I was so happy. Well months went by and I began to have back pain but both my Doctor and I thought nothing of it, we both thought it was due to weight gain caused by the pregnancy although I didn’t gain much weight, I actually lost a lot of weight. Well a little more time went by and I experienced a bout of severe morning sickness that lasted for 3 weeks straight and was almost hospitalized because of it but my Doctor finally prescribed me an anti-nausea medication that worked. Well more time went by and before I knew it I was 25 weeks along, I began experiencing back pain again and called my OBGYN they told me to go to the hospital to get checked out just to make sure that I wasn’t experiencing pre-term labor, so I went into the ER and they immediately sent me to the maternity ward well thankfully I wasn’t in pre-term labor but I was having pre-term contractions.

 The Doctor gave me two separate injections of a medication to help try and stop the contractions and thankfully it worked and I was released the next morning. Well a few months went by and everything was going fine until I went for a regular checkup at my OBGYN (I was 33 weeks and 5 days along) on April 14th (My B-day) the Doctor came in and started with trying to locate the heartbeat but she had trouble finding it, well she finally picked up something but soon found out that it was my heartbeat not that baby’s. Well she searched again and couldn’t find it so they moved me into another room with a sonogram machine and she only viewed it briefly but she didn’t like what she saw. She told me to go straight to the hospital (which thankfully was only about 5 mins away) and that my delivery Doctor was already there and that she would call him to let him know I was on my way but she never told what was wrong.

 I got to the hospital and went straight to the maternity ward. Once I made it up there they rushed me into a delivery room and had me put on a gown, I changed and came out of the bathroom to see them getting all of the monitors ready and as I laid down my Doctor came in with a sonogram machine and took a brief look and said “I think we may need to do an emergency c-section.” I almost jumped out of the bed yelling “No!” at the top of my lungs. I wanted to have natural childbirth but at the moment I was worried about my baby.

 He immediately began yelling for nurses and a handful of them came rushing into the room. They had me drink some disgusting liquid that looked like it was a small cup of cream for coffee. My husband kissed me as they started to rush me into the OR and he was being told to scrub up. Once I was in there the fear really hit me but only briefly because they were giving me local anesthesia, they told me to count backwards from 4 I only made it to 3. I woke up feeling very nauseous with my husband by my side holding his phone up to my face, once my eyes could focus I saw our beautiful baby girl. I immediately asked if she was okay and he said yes and I also said “it is a girl, right???” and he laughed and he said yes.

 Well they finally wheeled me into the NICU to see my daughter for the first time. I hid it well but I was so scared and stressed out because I didn’t know if she was going to be okay. When I saw her, it was love at first sight. I never knew I could love that much and she was perfect, she looked healthy and she was but since she was a preemie they were taking all of the normal precautions. She weighed 4lbs. 11oz. and was 17.25in. long, she was the best birthday present I ever received. Well I finally found out why they had to do an emergency c-section, her heart rate dropped from 140bpm to 80bpm, I was so thankful that my Doctor got her out in time, my husband said he had her out in 5mins. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days and Avril was in the NICU for about 2 ½ weeks.

 It was one of the most stressful times of my life, worrying about her healthy constantly, wanting to bring her home, going back and forth to the hospital 3, 4, 5 times a day while I was still healing from the very painful c-section. Most of the nurses were insensitive bitches and although she was in good health she couldn’t come home until she learned how to take a bottle and drink so many ML. I felt like she was never going to come home but she finally did. She is now 3 months old and weighs about 8 1/2lbs. and even though she was a preemie she is not behind developmentally. She holds her head up well, she interacts with my husband and I as well as other people.

 The only thing that might be a developmental problem is her sleep. I know a lot of new parents don’t get a lot of sleep but she refuses to sleep in her crib or bassinet. My husband and I take shifts with her, sleeping on the living room couch with her on our chest, sometimes she will nap on her stomach on the couch but other than that she has to be held. I later learned that I might have a vitamin B deficiency and that it can cause premature birth, as well as anxiety, depression and insomnia which I have had most of my life. In the end she was all worth it. <3


Filed under Parenting Parents Preemies Premature labor Premature birth

  1. noxqsez said: Both of my daughters were preemies. Samantha at 27 wks and Audrey at 32 wks. The doctors still can’t tell me why it happened.
  2. avrilsmommy posted this